Yes, I’m joining Helga with this movement! This morning, I was going through my makeup drawer, which was one-fifth of a set of drawers, and I noticed that most of the contents of that set were hoarded items — creams, lipsticks, lip balms, yarns, crochet books, knitting needles and two sets of crochet hooks (two!). And when I looked around our room, most of the books were mine AND were still UNOPENED. If that wasn’t a sign to do some form of an intervention, I don’t know what that is.
I don’t think I have to expound on my problem (plus I might chicken out if I prolong the intro), so here are the rules:
What I can shop for:
- food and groceries
- skin care (i.e. when I run out of moisturizer, which I doubt because I still have an extra pot of Olay)
- essential makeup (i.e. when I run out of BB cream, which I doubt I will, because I still have five squeeze bottles of it)
- Sanji’s clothes (only when he outgrows the ones that he has now, and I just shopped for new shorts and jammies)
- Sanji’s high chair and walker
- takeaway coffee, but only once per week
- shoes (i.e when my brown pointed Charles and Keith ones finally fall apart)
What I cannot shop for:
- new makeup (i.e. yet another lip balm or that teal eyeliner from Eye of Horus, or that liquid lipstick from Ofra in New Orleans shade good Lord, help meee)
- face masks, wax strips, scrubs, underarm whitening stuff (because I have enough supply to last me two months)
- clothes (mainly because we’ve maxed out on our closet space)
- junk food (like that cheese flavored french fries thingy in a tub, or Chef Tony’s popcorn)
- Sample Room stuff (I still have 490++ points), because if even if they only cost me PhP 100 for delivery, they’re still extra stuff that were “bought” because they’re “free”
- books, notebooks and pens
- VSCO filters (do I really need another one?)
- yarns, crochet and knitting accessories etc (except when an order comes in)
- new toys for Sanji (he has two boxes full of ’em and he doesn’t even play with those — he just likes his touchy feely book and rolling around his play pen)
- eyeglasses (I already have two and I only have one set of eyes)
- I can’t use my credit card (Mario already has my card but I’ve got the number and security thing memorized. Yes, I’m THAT sneaky). So I have to work a way around my memory, kind of jumble it up a bit.
- I can only spend half of my allowance.
- I can add to the second list anytime.
- Extension of the ban depends on my one month performance.
That’s it! I know I can do it because I already have my needs, but I’m kind of terrified at how I’ll handle my “bad” days without shopping.
Maybe this exercise can target two birds? We’ll see!